To upload a 3D model from Revit you will need to upload it using our Revit Add-in
- Select the 3D view you would like to export. Hide anything that you are not interested in seeing in VR, you may want to hide door panels.
- Click "Add-ins" in the top ribbon and click on the "Export to VR" InsiteVR button.
- The export modal will show the triangle count to help ensure we can process your model (3M max for GearVR, 15M max for Rift/Vive).
- Click the "Upload to InsiteVR" and use the dropdown to select which project to add the Revit model.
- Once the upload is complete, a browser should automatically launch so you can select your model processing options.
Congratulations! You've successfully uploaded a Revit model to InsiteVR.
Revit Material Discrepancies
Here are some tips for ensuring that your final VR model looks exactly like you designed it in Revit.
Every Revit material can be assigned two colors: a Graphic color and a render Appearance color. To ensure your Revit materials translate properly into InsiteVR, set your materials render Appearance color accurately. We wrote an in-depth blog post that discusses the difference between Graphic and Appearance graphics.
To get a good representation of what your model will look like in VR, change the views Graphic Display Options to Realistic. This view style will be slower, so we do not recommend using it for every view. However, it will expose the real material Appearance instead of showing the inaccurate Graphic color of the material.
Your materials may change color if your Graphic Appearance is different than your Appearance color. To fix this issue, open the Material Browser by going into Manage > Materials.
To fix this discrepancy, look at the Graphic Shading color of the material. If it is very different from the Appearance color, select "Use Render Appearance". You may want to select this option for each material so that there is less visual miscommunication.
Before uploading to InsiteVR, ensure that you've set the render Appearance for your Revit model, not just the material's Graphic color. This will ensure your final VR model looks like what you've been designing in Revit without any surprises!